Since it’s still Breastfeeding Week, I thought I would talk about why I chose to BF. The image above (from thealphaparent.com) shows how breastfeeding can benefit your little one. But it’s not just beneficial to your baby! These are some of the reasons why I chose to breastfeed Miss Bea:
- It helps you lose the pregnancy weight. They say that you see the most weight drop between 6-9 months. I’m not sure about that, but I have noticed in the last couple of weeks I am a little smaller. I gained 50lbs during my pregnancy, and now only have 7 to go. Without dieting at all.
- Breastfeeding can help you bond with your baby. This does not mean formula feeding eliminates bonding, I’m just saying that BF encourages skin-to-skin contact and that there is a closeness associated with it.
- Decreases risk of SIDS. (More on my obsessive fear of SIDS in a later post)
- No period!! (this does NOT mean you don’t need birth control)
- After the initial weeks, it takes less time than bottle feeding
- The health benefits to the baby (illustrated above)
- The fact that it’s natural. I try and eat as cleanly as possible, and would prefer my daughter do the same
Yes, breastfeeding can be challenging and inconvenient (like when you want to go out, but have to pump first. And while you’re out.) But it is also SO rewarding. I am so glad I chose to do it, and will hopefully continue to nurse my baby for the full 12 months.